Monday, November 5, 2007

good things

It's a chilly morning in Juneau; 34 degrees. It looks like it could easily snow today....

I've been busy baking; that's what I do this time of year.... One of my favorite sweet treats is this easy toffee recipe. I first ate it at a potluck. Reluctantly I placed a piece on my plate. I say "reluctantly" but for anyone who knows me, you know there's no "reluctance" when it comes to eating chocolate or sweets! I don't recall if it didn't look so good or maybe the presentation was off. Regardless, I wasn't so excited about eating it, but did take a piece to be polite. I have to tell you after my first bite, I returned to that place in line and I hovered over it, eating one piece after another. It was addicting. It melted in my mouth! I couldn't stop myself!

So imagine my surprise when I asked for the recipe and saw that the main ingredient was saltine crackers! Before you wrinkle your nose at this, just give it a try. You won't regret it.

You Won't Believe It's Toffee, Toffee

1 cup butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1 package Nestles milk chocolate chips
40 saltine crackers
1 cup pecans, chopped
jelly pan roll

Line the jelly roll pan with aluminum foil and spray with Pam. Lay saltines flat on foil. Melt sugar and butter together. Heat until foamy. Pour mixture over crackers evenly. Put in oven and bake 350 for 10 minutes. Take out and while still hot, pour chocolate chips evenly over crackers. Let melt a minute or two and then spread with a spoon or spatula to coat crackers evenly. Sprinkle pecans over this; pat down slightly. Let cool and then put in refrigerator until hard. Crack up and put in your favorite candy dish. Store in a cool place.


These are so easy to make, any busy mom can make them. Better yet, let your children help lay out the crackers. These make a great gift and store really well in the freezer.

After these are done, grab yourself a cup of coffee and jaunt on over to my new friend's blog--The Village Voice. She has the most incredible photos, poems, and poetry. Just what you need on a dreary day to sooth your soul. Enjoy!

1 comment:

joey said...

One of my favorite cookies 'in the whole-wide world'! Can't tell you how many times I made it, especially when my children were small (posted in my blog also). Thank you dearly for the kind words. It's been a joy meeting you.