Monday, July 2, 2007

it's the weekend

I love weekends. Still. Even though I'm retired, weekends are still my most favorite days of the week. Especially "Fridays." Excepting my Fridays are now Mondays. And I get so confused as to what day of the week it is with my screwy work schedule. I work Fridays, Sundays, and Mondays. But having three days off, in a row, is good. I've been a little lazy since returning from vacation, but hopefully won't waste these upcoming days :O

So what do I have planned for this long weekend? I just popped a rhubarb brunch cake in the oven. If you love (or even like) rhubarb, you must try this recipe.



This sloppy mess turns into





this golden brown beauty.










Which then looks like this when cut. Flop some whipped cream and.... yummy!





Rhubarb Brunch Cake

1 pkg Pillsbury Plus Yellow Cake mix
1 cup water
1/3 cup oil
3 eggs
4 cups sliced fresh rhubarb or frozen rhubarb, unthawed
1 cup sugar
1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream

Heat oven to 350. Grease and flour 13x9" pan. In large bowl, combine cake mix, water, oil, and eggs at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at highest speed. Pour into pan. Top with rhubarb. Sprinkle with sugar. Pour cream over top. Bake for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm (or cold) with whipped cream (or not). Store in refrigerator.

Now.... the sad part of this story. As I was typing the recipe up it dawned on me that I forgot the 1/3 cup oil.... certainly not on purpose.... but what will it do to the cake? We'll see in an hour's time. Crap. Anyway, if made with ALL of the ingredients, is THE most delicious cake you'll ever have.

Also "this weekend" I'll be doing surgery on our sweet little Sadie's toys. Before we left on vacation she was doing really well at playing with her stuffed toys and not chewing holes. Since we've been back.... she's been showing us, I guess. I sew them until there's just no more sense to, then she'll get new ones.

Have a great week!

2 comments:

Connie said...

That rhubarb cake looks delicious! I can almost smell it. :-)

Unknown said...

i will definately have to try that. i have never had rhubarb to my knowledge but it just looks too good.