Thursday, June 23, 2011

today....

Today  is my birthday.... 
I am a "young" 59...
Well, my mind feels like a young 45, but my body...
yea... 59... maybe 60....
 
Posted by Picasa
Today my sister also comes to town....!
We'll celebrate my birthday, then tomorrow go on a day cruise to Tracy Arm Fjiord.
Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the death of her husband,
and I'm hoping a day trip will help ease the pain of the day.  

We'll put in a full day of babysitting.  I suspect the grandkids will be on their best behavior with someone new in the house....
Then the birthday celebration.... 
I've never cared for birthdays and probably need to do some deep reflecting on why....
Maybe I don't want to be forgotten.
Or maybe I WAS forgotten once....
I know I'm not keen on a lot of personal attention.
Or picture taking (I take HORRIBLE pictures!), of which there will be some taken.
Maybe I secretly DO want all the attention....
But don't want to be disappointed when people don't show the love....
so I pretend like it doesn't matter to me....
(course, you'd have to LET them know it's your birthday
if you want the attention)
Maybe I've been disappointed in gifts before....
Like the jump rope I got many many years ago from my husband... because he thought I could lose some weight....  (yea.... he's no longer my husband!)

I'm certainly not one of those people who celebrate all week long. 
I dread this day and only wait for it to be over....
But then there's all the love from family and friends,
and it makes it a good day
and I wonder.... why do I hate birthdays so much?

No comments: