Thursday, December 23, 2010

it was so worth it

Hey, sis.  I suspect you're sound asleep as it's midnight on the east coast.  I just wanted to let you know that I ate a cinnamon roll for you.  I know how you're going in withdrawals. 

Mike makes a batch every year for Christmas.  It makes four pie pan sizes.  Some years they're huge, too big for me, but this year he really hit it on the nail.  I wasn't going to have one.  My blood sugar, you know.  But that would have been just plain rude not to eat one.  Disrespectful.  So I did.  And I can feel my blood sugar rise as we speak.  But it was so worth it.  Especially with that dabble of butter melted on top.  Oh.  So.  Good. 

It's going to be a long night.  I'm washing bedding....  This isn't something I would normally do at 5:15 at night, but Hunter had a little accident during nap time.  You would think I'd have learned by now.... and put a rubber pad underneath the kids during nap time.  But I don't.  Well, not always.  And especially not Hunter because it's been a long time since he's had an accident.  So the bed got stripped down to the pad and the comforters and sheets are being washed.   It's just that those big, bulky comforters take forever to dry.  You have to keep turning and fluffing them.  Well, maybe by 10:00, it'll all be done.

We had a good craft project day today.  On the spur of the moment, we decided to make gingerbread houses.  Okay, first off....this isn't something you do on the spur of the moment.  Had I given it any thought, we would have done the frame of the gingerbread house yesterday or the day before and let the frosting set.

OR.... here's an idea.... Maybe I should  have tried making one on my own before subjecting to the little kids to it! 

But they had a blast and put so much energy into it.  They really concentrated.

I felt horribly bad when the roof would slide off... or the walls would collapse.  But we didn't let it deter (Peeezzzzz nahhhhhhh) and I'd re-caulk it with frosting and we'd continue on.  I did find that putting a graham cracker on the bottom to kinda hold it all in place was a good move. 

All in all, it was a fun morning and I'm so proud of the little kids for sticking with it. 

Then when their moms came, and they rushed them over to look at it, you just knew how proud they were.  It's times like this that it makes babysitting so worthwhile. 

Hope you're having a good time.  N.

No comments: